Call it my pride, or my white guilt, but I have struggled not to feel embarrassed by having to ride around town all alone in this, one of the most expensive form of public transportation in Phnom Penh (typically used by white tourists, older expats, entire Cambodian families, or groups heading to meetings or parties, none of which I am). I have felt especially sheepish with neighbors and my favorite moto dop drivers, as they witness me paying dollars a day on rides, knowing that I already own a bike, and to whom I have made an obnoxious point to announce in my broken Khmer with corresponding hand motions: "sick back, no ride moto or bicycle one month more." Yikes.
But as I get over myself, and enjoy the breeze and the opportunity to read on my way to work (which reminds me fondly of my morning bus rides in Portland) I have come to reflect on how amazing this vehicle really is. A motorcycle with an attached carriage. Enough of a frame to provide protection in case of an accident, with side rain flaps that can be pulled down during a rainstorm, but open enough for full breeze to keep you cool even in hot weather. Two bench seats facing one another, with room for 4-10 people depending on one's age and sense of personal space. My favorite driver, Jahm, has wired a small light into the ceiling for night rides. Others are equipped with built-in speakers. And every one a different combination of paint jobs, bumper stickers, cushion covers, and floor carpeting. Unique to the personality of the driver, some more creative than others. For example...
Who wouldn't love the tuk-tuk!

I would always call Batman...and use that as the excuse for not utilizing other forms..."I'm Batman"
ReplyDeleteSo I guess we stood out as the white tourists when we rode the tuk-tuk. It is a great means of transportation. We did cram five people into one though so maybe that counts. :-)
ReplyDeleteMarne -- oh what a fun memory of having your family here to visit! I would say that every white face stand out in some way here, but you traveled by tuk tuk in a group, which is what the tuk tuk is for and yes definately counts!! I hope you are all well and are enjoying Africa! :)
ReplyDelete